Clients who have little to no experience with public relations, and often new recruits to the Public Relations (PR) Industry, tend to confuse advertising with PR.
PR/Publicity is defined as the proactive generation of news or stories, with a purpose!
What makes the news is often reliant on the ‘news angle’ you take on a story, or the information you are offering up to media.
Before embarking on a campaign for your brand, make sure that the angle you offer up is:
- Of interest to the public (or your target audience).
- Is new, topical, educational, different or quirky!
- Look for the hook. Is it unusual or sensational? Does it affect people? Is it thought provoking?
- It must NOT be commercial or sound like an ad – that’s what advertising is for!
- It must be credible.
- It helps if you can substantiate your story either with case studies or statistics.
- Surveys are always newsworthy. They are credible and provide a ‘hook’.
Good luck generating that amazing piece of coverage for your brand!